Marquette Maritime Museum

The Marquette Maritime Museum Association became a nonprofit museum in 1980. Our mission is to “protect and preserve the maritime history of Marquette, Lake Superior, and all the Great Lakes, and to remember our submarine veterans.” The Museum opened in the old City Waterworks building in June of 1984. The building (1891) is a one-story, stone, hipped-roof Richardsonian Romanesque style structure with a parapeted front gable and rounded arch windows. It was designed by architect D. Fred Charlton.

We are proud of the education we provide to area schools in the form of free admission to the Museum and Lighthouse and children’s art/history workshops.  We also offer a winter lecture series, Maritime History on Tap, at the Ore Dock Brewing Company and yearly events such as a Lyle gun demonstration and Ghosts of Lighthouse Point fundraiser.

Marquette Maritime Museum utilizes a Board of Directors, a Museum Director, Assistant Manager, front-desk staff, artists, historians, Lake Superior weather and science experts, and a core group of volunteers.

2021 Board of Directors

Frederick Stonehouse, President
Kurt Fosberg, Vice President
David Northey, Treasurer
Lee Rowe, Secretary
Carolyn Northey
Scott Porter
Charon Porter
Dr. K. Charles Wright
Frank Donckers
Karen Goodney
Elizabeth Yelland
Director –  Hilary Billman
Assistant Director – Beth Stover

2020 Annual Report

Support provided by:


Guide Star

Frazier Foundation
Marquette Community Foundation
Rotary of Marquette
Marquette Breakfast Rotary
Keweenaw Bay Indian Community
Shiras Institute
Reynolds Foundation
Cliffs/Eagle Mine Foundation
We Energies Foundation

Plan Your Visit

Membership Form

end bug

© 2021 Marquette Maritime Museum
Website Hosted & Updated by Iron Bay Computer