The Marquette Maritime Museum's mission is to protect and preserve the maritime history of Marquette, Lake Superior, and all the Great Lakes, and to remember our submarine veterans. The Museum, a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit, opened in the old City Waterworks building in June of 1984. The building (1891) is a one-story, stone, hipped-roof Richardsonian Romanesque style structure with a parapeted front gable and rounded arch windows designed by architect D. Fred Charlton.
We are proud of the education we provide to area schools in the form of free fieldtrips to the Museum and Lighthouse and free children’s art/history workshops. Contact us at email@example.com for information on free school fieldtrips. We also offer a winter lecture series, Maritime History on Tap, at the Ore Dock Brewing Company and yearly events such as a Lyle gun demonstration and Ghosts of Lighthouse Point fundraiser. Check out our current events on the Calendar of Events page.
There is a paved lot off of Lakeshore Blvd, located between the Water Treatment Building and the U.S. Coast Guard Station. The Museum entrance is on the lake side.
Another option is to turn east on Arch Street (closest street to the north of the Museum) and park in the lot between the lake and the 1891 US Life-Saving Service building or in the lot in front of the Museum building. The last option is to park at Mattson Lower Harbor Park or McCarty's Cove and take the short walk along the multi-use path. The path brings you right to the Maritime Museum.
Stannard Rock Lighthouse Fundraiser Pendant ($150) is only available through the summer of 2022. Purchase your pendant today at Beth Millner Jewelry
Marquette Maritime Museum utilizes a Board of Directors, a Museum Director, Assistant Director/Gift Shop Manager, front-desk staff, artists, historians, Lake Superior weather and science experts, and an excellent group of volunteers.
2022 Board of Directors
Frederick Stonehouse, President
Kurt Fosburg, Vice President
David Northey, Treasurer
Lee Rowe, Secretary
Dr. K. Charles Wright
Director – Hilary Billman
Assistant Director & Gift Shop Manager – Beth Stover